Architectural Modification Questions
  • chevron_rightWhy Do I Need a Modification Application?
    Per the Alamo Ranch CC&Rs, modification application approval is required for the reasons listed in Article V, Section 5.6 Standards.
    The Architectural Review Committee (ARC) shall use its best efforts to promote and ensure a high level of taste, design, quality, harmony and conformity throughout the Subdivision consistent with the standards set forth in this Declaration, provided that such party shall have sole discretion with respect to taste, design and all standards specified herein. One objective of such party is to conform generally with community standards and prevent unusual, radical, curious, odd, bizarre, peculiar or irregular structures from being built or maintained in the Subdivision.
  • chevron_rightHow long does it take to receive an approval for a modification?
    The Architectural Committee may take up to 60 days to approve any modification application per the CC&Rs.
    Article V, Section 5.5(b): All documents must be submitted in duplicate and must be sent to Developer or the ARC by hand delivery or certified mail; provided, however, that Developer shall not be obligated to submit or obtain approval of such documents as long as the Developer owns any Lot(s) in the Subdivision. At such time as the submitted documents meet the approval of Developer or the ARC, one complete set of the submitted documents will be retained by such party and the other complete set shall be marked "Approved", signed by such party and returned to Builder or its respective designated representative. If disapproved by such party, one set of documents shall be returned marked "Disapproved" and shall be accompanied by a statement of the reasons for disapproval, which statement shall be signed by such party. Such party's approval or disapproval shall be in writing. In no event shall such party give oral approval of any documents. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if such party fails to respond to any submitted documents within sixty (60) days after the date of submission, the matters submitted shall be deemed to be approved.
  • chevron_rightWho makes the decisions?
    Architectural approvals or denials are made by the Architectural Review Committee. Once a decision has been made, the Association Office will reach out to the homeowner with the decision and any further instructions.
  • chevron_rightWhat happens if my project is denied?
    If your project is denied, you may resubmit with changes or recommendations made by the ARC, if any recommendations are offered. The decision may be brought to the Board of Directors for appeal as well. If the project is approved at that point, then you may proceed. If it is denied in appeal, the project may not proceed.
  • chevron_rightWhat is an Assessment?
    Homeowner associations can compel homeowners to pay a share of common expenses, usually per-unit or based on square footage. These expenses generally arise from common property, which varies dramatically depending on the type of association. 
  • chevron_rightAre 'Dues' different than 'Assessments?'
    A predetermined set of fees usually referred to as 'Dues' are collected by HOAs, Community Associations, or divisions of property management for the upkeep of said organizations or neighborhoods in general. These fees are billed at intervals, sometimes by month, quarter, or annually. Dues and Assessments are generally used to refer to the HOA fees, however, special assessments may be required for special projects or repairs as imposed by the Board of Directors.
  • chevron_right When are Assessments due & how much are Assessments?
    Assessments are due to the Association quarterly. In the amount of $200, gated communities will have an additional assessment (this will vary dependent on the community). Please note that these do not come out of your escrow. Assessments are considered late after the last business day of the month & late fees will be applied.
    The quarterly assessments are due on the following days:
    • January 1
    • April 1
    • July 1
    • October 1
    Currently as of 2023 the quarterly assessments are as followed:
    • Non Gated Communities - $200.00
    • Austin Grant - $284.18
    • Williams Grant - $296.11
    • Woodbury Grant - $302.03
    • Harrison Grant - $319.31
Association Legal Documents
  • chevron_rightWhat are Governing Documents?
    The declaration, bylaws, operating rules, articles of incorporation or any other documents which govern the normal operating procedures of an association.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the Declaration?
    The Declaration is sometimes referred to as the 'master deed,' 'documents,' or 'declaration of covenants, conditions, and restrictions' [DCC&Rs]. It describes an owner's responsibilities to the association which can include payment of dues and assessments as well as the association’s various duties to the owners. It is common viewed as somewhat of a 'constitution' of the association. The person or group of persons who either signs the original declaration governing the development and association or acquires the original developer's rights is referred to as the 'Declarant.' 
  • chevron_rightWhat are CC&R's?
    The term CC&R refers to 'Covenants, Conditions & Restrictions.' A real covenant is a legal obligation imposed in a deed by the seller of a home and or property upon the buyer of the real estate to do or not to do something. Such restrictions frequently 'run with the land' and are enforceable on future buyers of the property. Examples might be to maintain a property in a reasonable state of repair, to preserve a sight-line for a neighboring property, not to run a business from a residence, or not to build on certain parts of the property. Many covenants are very simple and are meant only to protect a neighborhood from homeowners destroying trees or historic things or otherwise directly harming property values. Some can be more specific and strict, outlining everything a homeowner can do to the exterior of their home, including the number of non-familial tenants one may have, acceptable colors to re-paint the home, exactly when holiday decorations are allowed up, automobile placement or repair on property, satellite placement, etc
  • chevron_rightWhat Are 'ByLaws'?
    A set of rules or guidelines regarding the operation of a non-profit corporation such as a Board. Bylaws generally set forth definitions of offices and committees involved with the Board of Directors. They can include voting rights, meetings, notices, and other areas involved with the successful operation of the Association.
  • chevron_rightWhat is an Estoppel letter?
    An estoppel letter is used in a transfer or conveyance of real property prior to the Closing transaction. The document is sent to a bank (or other lender), to an HOA (or Condo Association), to a city/municipality, or a tenant requesting payoff of a mortgage, assessments or taxes due, or rental amounts due on a lease, to incorporate these amounts into the Settlement Statement for the buyer and seller of the real estate. Assessments and payments due must be incorporated into the amounts due at Closing and paid at the time of the Closing. Some amounts may be pro-rated, but all must be included in the Settlement Statement. The estoppel letter is the document that facilitates this process.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a notice of Noncompliance?
    Similar in essence to a lien, the Notice of Noncompliance is a document sometimes authorized under the CC&Rs and may be recorded in the county property records. Its essential purpose is to notify prospective buyers that the property is in violation of the documents.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Lien?
    A lien is a monetary claim levied against a property for unpaid mortgage, taxes, contractor work, or other charges. A lien is attached to the property, not the owner, but legally must be recorded in the property records of the county of residence. If a lien is in place, the property owner has very limited ability to do anything involving the property until the lien is satisfied or removed.
Association Management Questions
  • chevron_rightDoes my community have an Association Management Company, and if so, how do I contact them?
    Your community has an onsite Association Management Team with CCMC.  Homeowners are welcome to reach the Association by phone, email, or coming to the onsite office located in the Clubhouse. Our contact information is available throughout the website.
  • chevron_rightHow does the Violation Process work?
  • chevron_rightWhat is a 'Managing Agent?'
    A Managing Agent is a person or entity hired specifically to assist the board of directors in enforcing the documents and managing the assets, funds, and interests of the association. 
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Quorum?
    A Quorum is defined as the minimum number of owners required to hold an official meeting of the association. The number of owners required can vary greatly according to the corresponding association's governing documents.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Proxy?
    An individual appointed to act or vote on behalf of another person by representing them at a meeting of the association. The title can also refer to the written piece of paper granting that power.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Recuse?
    The act of initiating a Recuse involves the temporary removal of an association member or board member, or the act of disallowing his or her participation in a particular vote or proceeding.
  • chevron_rightWhat is an Association Management Company and what do they do?
    A property management entity contracted by a Board of Directors or community to provide a variety of services including but not limited to collecting assessments, sub-contractor endeavors, financial advisement and statement/reports preparation and analysis, general maintenance and problem resolution, and advisement on legal and other property related matters. Some of these companies manage hundreds of properties simultaneously, while others focus on individual properties.
  • chevron_rightWhat is an Association Management?
    Association management is a distinct field of management because of the unique environment of associations. Associations are unique in that the 'owners' are dues-paying members. Members also govern their association through an elected board or other governing body, along with association committees, commissions, task forces, councils and other units. Typically, the board selects, retains and evaluates a chief executive officer or an executive director who is responsible for the day-to-day management of the association and paid staff. Managers within the association environment are responsible for many of the same tasks that are found in other organizational contexts. These include human resource management, financial management, meeting management, IT management, and project management. Other aspects of management are unique for association managers. These include: membership recruitment and retention; tax-exempt accounting and financial management; development of non-dues revenue and fundraising. Association managers must also be familiar with laws and regulations that pertain only to associations. To attain the knowledge needed to effectively operate in association management, its practitioners may choose to pursue the Certified Association Executive designation. 
Association Types
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Community Association?
    A community association is a nongovernmental association of participating members of a community, such as a neighborhood, village, condominium, cooperative, or group of homeowners or property owners in a delineated geographic area. Participation may be voluntary, require a specific residency, or require participation in an intentional community. Community associations may serve as social clubs, community promotional groups, service organizations, or quasi-governmental groups.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Homeowners Association (HOA)?
    A Homeowners' Association (HOA) is a legal entity created by a real estate developer for the purpose of developing, managing and selling a community of homes. It is given the authority to enforce the covenants, conditions & restrictions (CC&Rs) and to manage the common amenities of the development. It allows a developer to end their responsibility over the community, typically by transferring ownership of the association to the homeowners after selling. Generally accepted as a voluntary association of homeowners gathered together to protect their property values and to improve the neighborhood, a large percentage of U.S neighborhoods where free standing homes exist have an HOA. Most homeowners' associations are non profit organizations and are subject to state statutes that govern non-profit corporations and homeowners' associations.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Neighborhood Association?
    A Neighborhood Association (NA) is a group of residents or property owners who advocate for or organize activities within a neighborhood. An association may have elected leaders and voluntary dues. Some neighborhood associations in the United States are incorporated, may be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as 501(c)(4) nonprofit organization, and may enjoy freedom from taxation from their home state.
  • chevron_rightWhat is the difference between a Homeowners Association and a Neighborhood Association?
    The term neighborhood association is sometimes incorrectly used instead of homeowners association (HOA). Some key differences include: 1. HOA membership is mandatory generally through rules tied to the ownership of property like deed restrictions. Neighborhood association membership is voluntary or informal. 2. HOAs often own and maintain common property, such as recreational facilities, parks, and roads, whereas neighborhood associations are focused on general advocacy and community events. The rules for formation of a neighborhood association in the United States are sometimes regulated at the city or state level. Neighborhood associations are more likely to be formed in older, established neighborhoods, whereas HOAs are generally established at the time a residential neighborhood is built and sold. In some cases, neighborhood associations exist simultaneously with HOAs, and each may not encompass identical boundaries. 
Board of Directors
  • chevron_rightHow do I contact my Board of Directors?
    To contact the Alamo Ranch Community Association Board of Directors, please first contact the Association Office at (210) 740-4976.  You may submit your questions or concerns through the "Contact Us" navigation drop-down. All requests will be sent to the Association Office and then presented to the Board for response. Contact information, meeting times, minutes, and other information can be obtained through checking the Board and Documents information area of your website.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Board of Directors?
    In relation to an HOA, Community or other formal organization, a director is an officer charged with the conduct and management of its affairs. The directors collectively are referred to as a board of directors, and are generally elected or appointed. Sometimes the board will appoint one of its members to be the chair, making this person the President of the Board of Directors or Chairman. The Alamo Ranch Community Association has an elected 7-member Board comprised of homeowner members.
General Terms
  • chevron_rightWhat are Ordinances?
    An Ordinance is an individual or set of laws adopted by local government at the county and city level. 
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Common Area?
    Any area of improved real property intended for shared use by the members of an association.
  • chevron_rightWhat is an Easement?
    An Easement is an interest or a right in real property which grants the ability to a landowner to use the land of another for a special purpose or endeavor. An association may for example have an easement for slope maintenance or other repair purposes. A public utility may also have an easement for maintenance or repair work to be executed at a future date.
Website FAQ's